I love the idea of a Bucket List. I’m a list-maker by nature, and I like to be organised. Summer holidays go very quickly, and I often find myself on 1st September wishing that I’d done more, made more, or been to certain places I didn’t get around to.
A bucket list, though, is traditionally a list of things you want to do before you ‘kick the bucket’, which in itself is a little morbid, especially when you’re planning these things with your kids! With this in mind, we’re calling this our ‘bucket and spade’ list, and we want to fill our buckets with lots of fun things this summer.
We’re spending a lot of time in France, where we often come. It will be a busy time with gite guests and family visitors, so we want to make sure we make the most of it. We’ve each made a list, and we hope to combine them to do some fantastic things this summer (and keep the kids off the Xbox for a while if we possibly can!).
- Visit French Markets and Brocantes/Vide Grenier
- A trip to the Marais Poitevin
- Visit the coast (La Rochelle area)
- Do a Cognac distillery tour
- Take the children to a theme park – Puy du Fou, Futuroscope or similar
- Take some photos of sunflowers (I haven’t taken any so far in all the time I’ve been coming here – unbelievable!)
- Do some crafts and have quiet times with the boys
- Have dinners outdoors
- Do some star gazing with the boys (Hugo bought a telescope from a Vide Grenier and we have the perfect skies here to use it)
- Have a lakeside picnic
- Go canoeing on the Charentes river
- Make our garden nicer
- Have some family picnics
- Visit French Markets eg Lezay
- Visit a night market eg Villefagnan
- Go to a theme park eg Futuroscope
- Do some crafts
- Make some videos for YouTube
- Have a family picnic
- Play on the new inflatables in the pool
- Go on a jet ski
- Try quad biking
- Visit the seaside
- Read the whole of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Go to Lezay Market and the ‘dog charity’ place
- Go to Zoodyssey (we’ve been before but Toby loves it, especially the foxes and racoons, and holding the snakes)
- Pool activities and games
- Go to a restaurant
- Make a vlog video
It’s good to see that there are many overlaps in our wish lists, so we will therefore all be happy, hopefully at least some of the time!
We are also really looking forward to the Mad Hatter’s Wonderland Festival, at the Mad Hatters Kitchen, a restaurant venue near our house in France. This 3-day music festival is going to be amazing, and we are therefore planning to really make the most of it this year!
We hope you like our ideas for our bucket list. Whether visiting France or not, we hope you can take some inspiration from our list too. What’s at the top of your bucket list (or bucket and spade list) this summer?